Currently we support Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 and Mac OS X (Intel only). GenGIS is released under the GNU General Public License version 3.
Current Release Details
- GenGIS Version: 1.08 (Sept. 14, 2010) for Windows, 1.08 (Sept. 14, 2010) for Mac (Revision History)
- Python Version: 2.6.1 for Windows, 2.5 for Mac
- RPy2 Version: 2.0.3
- wxWidgets Version: 2.8.9
We are primarily developing under Windows XP/7 at this time. As such, there are some GUI issues with the Mac OS X version. A list of known issues can be found here. In case you're wondering why we ship all required dependencies with GenGIS, our motives are twofold:
- It simplifies the acquisition process, as opposed to many iterations of 'go here - get this'.
- It also allows us to ensure that working combinations of the attached libraries can be used. Conflicts might otherwise arise between wx, Python, RPy2, and R.
- MacOSX installation package
Tested on MacOSX versions 10.5 (Leopard), 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and 10.7 (Lion).
- Download MapMaker to obtain maps compatible with GenGIS.
Sample data can be found on the Tutorials page.
You can use our tool MapMaker to generate high-resolution GeoTIFF for any region in the world. Instruction on obtaining digital terrain maps (DEMs) are provided on the Tutorials page. We have also assembled a collection of example digital terrain maps:
- Sample world map (GeoTIFF, from GTOPO30)
- Africa (GeoTIFF, from GTOPO30)
- Europe (ASCII grid, from GTOPO30)
- South Pacific (ASCII grid, from GTOPO30, spanning example with longitude 0-360)
- South Pacific Reduced (ASCII grid, from GTOPO30, spanning example with longitude 0-360)
GenGIS Source Code
Source code is for v1.08. GenGIS dependencies are given in /src/Readme.txt.